Subject: Re: Forcing a full rebuild of GNOME after update from 3.0.1 to 3.1
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Lasse =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Hiller=F8e?= Petersen <lhp@toft-hp.dk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/07/2006 15:41:23
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

>Note that you removed /usr/pkg also. The earlier poster did not.

I did notice that.

>So now may have multiple versions of libraries, out-dated configurations,
>left over (and possibly wrong) documentation, and lots of clutter.

Yes, of course.

But some of the existing packages would continue working with the old
library versions, and the system would remain somewhat usable during the
time of the rebuild of GNOME. Also I noticed a smiley in that message from
Gilles, so I would like to assume he was aware that he was skating thin ice.

In order to get his /usr/pkg in sync with /var/db/pkg he would just
need to remove all files with an mtime before he started messing with it,
or have I overlooked something? Not pretty, but doable, I'd say.

>Does that get all of them? I guess that does put them in a reverse order
>-- but maybe not in correct order for removals. I don't know and didn't
>test. Anyways, you may want to add -Rr to your pkg_delete to help.

So far it has worked OK. I know that I am relying on an assumption about the
order in which pkg_info shows the packages, which *could* be wrong. Of course
I check that all are removed afterwards.

Yes, I should read the pkg_delete manpage again...

pkg_delete '*' just might do what I need, right?

:-)

-Lasse
(who is still wondering why his xfwm windows titles are stuck with the
Fixed font...)