Subject: Re: Forcing a full rebuild of GNOME after update from 3.0.1 to 3.1
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@NetBSD.org>
From: Gilles Gravier <Gilles@Gravier.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/07/2006 15:20:47
Hehe... I know that I am asking for trouble...

But since I didn't update /usr/pkgsrc in between, I am in fact
rebuilding the same packages that are already installed... albeit now
building them with a 3.1 instead of a 3.0.1... and after a general make
clean from /usr/pkgsrc to make sure I am rebuilding ALL the stuff that
gnome depends on and implies... so I am making the assumption that the
same thing as was present will be installed... and maybe just a few
files will still remain that are not needed but not used anymore. I
don't really see how that can break too many things.

But if worse comes to worse, I will delete /usr/pkg (except /usr/pkg/etc
and do a full real rebuild and get back to a supported configuration).

What pleases me here (appart from the sarcastic answer which I didn't
really know what to make of) is that 3 people have given me 3 different
procedures. One of them is completely described (thanks to Lasse), one
tells me to go read the manual of some fuctions and gives a general idea
of which tools to use (thanks Geert) and one (Jeremy) says what to use,
but not with any specific process. I guess each method has its
advantages. Some users will love the opportunity to try to figure it
all... others will like to read the doc and do after... and some will
appreciate a
cut-paste-get-it-working-THEN-read-the-doc-to-undestand-when-they-have-time
approach.

Thanks to all who replied. Machine is rebuilding for now... going on
fine... let's see how it goes in a day when all is rebuilt... and
hopefully running.

Gilles.

--
/*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* *Gilles@Gravier.org* <mailto:Gilles@Gravier.org>