Subject: Re: Forcing a full rebuild of GNOME after update from 3.0.1 to 3.1
To: Lasse =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Hiller=F8e?= Petersen <lhp@toft-hp.dk>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/07/2006 07:33:17

--0-47376558-1165498397=:28078

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Lasse Hiller=F8e Petersen wrote:

> As for the technical details, I suppose by losing the pkg db stuff in /va=
r,
> you lost all track of installed packages and their relations. I'm not sur=
> though. I have used rm -rf /var/db/pkg /usr/pkg now and then to get rid o=

Note that you removed /usr/pkg also. The earlier poster did not.

So now may have multiple versions of libraries, out-dated configurations,=
=20
left over (and possibly wrong) documentation, and lots of clutter.

Also many choose to not use /usr/pkg for their configurations, so may have=
=20
wrong (but unmodified) configurations in place that won't get replaced by=
=20
new package install. ... oh I see you mention /etc/ below ...

> packages quickly, and would frankly like to know too what is intrinsicall=
> wrong with that method. It's not like the pkg system is perfect in the
> first place, and as far as I can tell, doing this should clean out everyt=
hing
> package-related quite nicely, except for stuff added to /etc perhaps.

> Just to give you all a chance of having a good laugh at my expense, I'll
> finish by telling how *I* manage my packages, feel free to point a finger
> of your choice at me:
>=20
> To get a list of packages I have installed and want to keep, I do:
> pkg_info -B -a |grep PKGPATH|sed 's/PKGPATH=3D//' >pkgs_i_want_to_have
>=20
> To clear out all the packages, I do:
> pkg_info -a|sed 's/ .*//'|tail -r|while read p ; do pkg_delete $p ; done

Does that get all of them? I guess that does put them in a reverse order=20
-- but maybe not in correct order for removals. I don't know and didn't=20
test. Anyways, you may want to add -Rr to your pkg_delete to help.

> I edit pkgs_i_want_to_have as needed, then:
> cat pkgs_i_want_to_have|
> (while read pp ; do cd /usr/pkgsrc/$pp ; make && make install ; done)
>=20
> I am sure there are terrific pkg tools to do this, but my method appears
> to work, and therefore I have little incentive to bother with changing it=
=2E

That seems fine to me.

As for me, I normally use:
   USE_ABI_DEPENDS?=3Dno
And do "make replace" a lot.

On some other systems, I just build packages after cleaning as needed in a=
=20
chroot environment -- so doesn't affect my running system.

I want to take advantage of the new pkg_summary databases (which are=20
provided on many FTP servers). Anyone using them?
--0-47376558-1165498397=:28078--