Subject: Re: 1. Petition 2. Bounty
To: Karim Forsthofer <kforstho@email2me.net>
From: Joseph A. Dacuma <jadacuma@ched.gov.ph>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/07/2006 14:03:28
Hi Karim!

> As I told already.

Yes, we heard you twice the first time.

> We have to go step by step. Why using the Nvidia driver, WHICH IS BUILT
> FOR FREEBSD on another Platform (NetBSD)??? . I don`t think the driver
> would be stable!!

I'd rather use cards made by S3. Avoid grief of not being able to harness
a pricey whiz-bang hardware's full potential.

> We have to ask the guys from Nvidia, they own the sourcecode, to build an
> offiical driver for netbsd. This is the way it works.

IMHO, this route is not sustainable at all. They may make drivers until
NetBSD 4.x, I doubt if they are still willing when NetBSD 9.0 gets
released. :)

> After the petition is done, we can talk about a bounty.

I signed the petition _hoping_ that it would catch the attention of Nvidia
to release their docs(dreaming). In that way, a driver made by NetBSD
meisters will ensure that it will always work on NetBSD. Further, It would
also benefit other projects such as OpenBSD.

Kind regards,

Joseph