Subject: Re: Petition for NetBSD Nvidia driver (step by step)
To: Karim Forsthofer <kforstho@email2me.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/02/2006 12:00:16
On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 12:49:17AM +0800, Karim Forsthofer wrote:

> The only thing that we have to do now is to wait until the petition
> has enough signer. Then I will send this petition to nvidia.

Where it will have no effect whatsoever.  You're simply not going to
be able to get them to devote fifty thousand bucks of development
and support time (probably an underestimate) just because a few
hundred people say they want a pony.

NVidia ship *hundreds of thousands* of chips every quarter.  A few
hundred (or even a few thousand) more indirect sales simply do not offer
them enough revenue at the margin to justify the development cost.

Quentin's proposal is a much more realistc path forward.

Thor