Subject: Re: Petition for NetBSD Nvidia driver
To: Karim Forsthofer <kforstho@email2me.net>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/01/2006 21:23:59
--OFqRauS4h7B9gLIC

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 04:09:38AM +0800, Karim Forsthofer wrote:
> Please support it.=20
> Your vote count.=20
> http://www.nvidia-petition.tk/

Why should NVIDIA care about a petition?  They're not against the idea
of having a NetBSD driver.  The thing is, it's hard work, for very
little purpose.

Besides, they _do_ care.  When I was working on that project, NVIDIA
people were kind enough to at least try to answer the questions I asked
them.

Porting the FreeBSD driver is not that big a task;  it took me two
months at the time to get it into a somewhat working state, and I had no
previous kernel programming experience.

If someone can make a really usable port of the FreeBSD driver, NVIDIA
might very well consider doing the necessary steps to have NetBSD
binaries, without the need for any petition.

What's needed is someone to do the porting work;  in the 4 years my
project has been dead, I have had probably no more than 5 people asking
me about it, and none of them actually pursued the idea.

IMO, you'd better organise a bounty for that project, rather than
whining to NVIDIA.

--=20
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

--OFqRauS4h7B9gLIC

--OFqRauS4h7B9gLIC--