Subject: Re: Upgrading a RAIDframe system with sysinst?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Christoph Kaegi <kgc@zhwin.ch>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/30/2006 10:39:16
On 27.11-17:17, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, Greg Oster wrote:
> >Christoph Kaegi writes:

> >>Hm, would this help the kernel recognize more raid devices when
> >>booting?
> >>I thought the / fs isn't yet mounted when the kernel autoconfigures
> >>the raid devices.
> >
> >You are correct.  If raid2 and raid3 are "autoconfigure", then they
> >should have been picked up and configured automatically, regardless
> >of what's in /dev.
>
> But you won't be able to do much with them and the error message along the
> lines of "device not configured" could refer to both situations.
>
> Does dmesg show only the one? How about sysctl hw.disknames?

OK, I found the following:

(raidsets are all "autoconfigure")

- dmesg shows all raidsets (raid0 - raid3)
- /dev has only devicefiles for raid0*
- sysctl hw.disknames shows all raid devices (raid[0123])
- sysinst shows *only* raid0, together with wd0 and wd1 as
  possible targets to install NetBSD on
- raidctl -s raid0 is ok
- raidctl -s raid[123] doesn't work
- going into shell, cd /dev, MAKEDEV raid1 raid2 raid3 fixes
  raidctl -s raid[123] *and* sysinst now shows raid[123] as
  possible install targets.

Now the remaining question is: How would I tell sysinst, that
/usr is on raid2a and /var on raid3a?

Chris

Christoph Kaegi                                           kgc@zhwin.ch