Subject: Re: VMware and NetBSD
To: None <bsdjunkie@email.com>
From: Peter Eisch <peter@boku.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/26/2006 09:43:30
> John Darrow wrote:
> I've never found either of these useful, as I've never had any reason
> to run X on guest servers (it seems a major waste of memory and
> processor to me).  The X apps simply duplicate functionality already
> found in the VirtualCenter (which you will be wanting to run somewhere
> anyway).

This is a good point that I missed emphasizing in my earlier reply.  At
"work" I have the experience to be around about 30 instances running linux.
None of the clients have the vmware tools installed.  With vmware
workstation 4 we had significant clock skew issues in the client instances
which were managed by running ntp from cron every minute and slaved to a
local server.  (ntpd failed to keep sync)  I haven't seen this issue with
vmware server at all.

The other detail worth noting is that I set the host's configuration "Fit
all virtual machine memory into reserved host RAM."  If you don't select
that, bad things happen, as John noted.

peter