Subject: Re: How to install NetBSD on Intel ICH8 ?
To: Thomas Feddersen <>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/25/2006 19:42:50
On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 12:15:43AM +0100, Thomas Feddersen wrote:
> I deactivated the integrated graphic adapter in the Bios and plugged a
> separate graphic card into the PCI-slot ->
> No improvement, the system still crashes after a few seconds of data
> transfer.

Well, I don't know what the problem might be with your system, but I
can attest that some "ICH8" systems work great.  There are many different
chipsets that identify as having ICH8 devices on the PCI bus, right?  We
replaced with a system that has an Intel 5000 server
chipset (some parts of which claim to be ICH8) and it works wonderfully.

Can you run a standalone memory test on your system for a few hours with
no problems?  Try memtest86+ in pkgsrc; you can build it and put it in
your NetBSD root filesystem, and boot it using our bootblocks.

Thor Lancelot Simon
  "The liberties...lose much of their value whenever those who have greater
   private means are permitted to use their advantages to control the course
   of public debate."					-John Rawls