Subject: How to install NetBSD on Intel ICH8 ?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Feddersen <thomas.feddersen@t-online.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/23/2006 10:56:49
 from my previous post "does NetBSD support Intel ICH8 ?" I gained the
notion that NetBSD somehow works on ICH8. So I went ahead and got me a
system with an Intel DG965WHMKR MoBo and plugged a Core2Duo E6300 and 6
SATA drives and one IDE drive and one ATAPI DVD into it.

The system boots fine from the Install-CD in the optical drive, but
3.1-amd64 finds an error before even detecting the drives and reboots,
sorry I couldn't read the console output so quickly. The 4.99-amd64
install-CD has the same behaviour.
Using the 3.1-i386 Install-CD the system boots and recognizes piixide0 and
initializes / configures:

atabus0 at piixide0 channel 0

but then the console-output hangs (I switched off after one minute).

Then I tried the new live-cd from
http://www.netbsd.org/Changes/#netbsd-live-cd-2007
and the system runs fine! The live-cd is based on 4.99-i386, but I
couldn't find a Boot-CD nor binaries under

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/

Can somebody please give me some hints / instructions, how to install
-amd64 or -i386 ?

MS-Windows server installs out of the box - but it would make me so very
happy to use NetBSD instead.

Kind Regards
Thomas Feddersen