Subject: does NetBSD support Intel ICH8 ?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Feddersen <thomas.feddersen@t-online.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/21/2006 10:44:35
I intend to buy a MB with Intel G965 chipset and use the 6 SATA channels
to connect 6 harddrives. Now I wonder: Does NetBSD support the current
Intel chipsets with ICH8?

According to the documentation at
http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?piixide+4+NetBSD-current
the piixide driver supports the Intel PIIX, PIIX3, PIIX4, and 82801
(ICH/ICH0/ICH2/ICH3/ICH4/ICH5/ICH6) IDE controllers. This information is
also valid for NetBSD-3.0. Does this really mean NetBSD-4.0 will have no
support for ICH7 nor ICH8 - or has possibly the documentation not been
updated?

Since I want to use RAIDframe, running NetBSD on top of some Linux
XEN-dom0 is not an option. I need native support from NetBSD for the
southbridge.

Kind regards
Thomas Feddersen
Hamburg, GER