Subject: Re: "X windows" configuration
To: arnuld <arnuld3@gmail.com>
From: Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/13/2006 14:21:07
On 11/13/06, arnuld <arnuld3@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You mean xf86cfg or xf86config; xorgconfig is part of the Xorg
> > package, which you normally would have from pkgsrc.
>
> "xf86cfg". it gave me X-based screen where i selected my video card
> etc using mouse.
> it works without any problem.

Fine.

> > Get pkgsrc.tar.gz from /pub/NetBSD/packages directory from your
> > closest NetBSD mirror, but then see below...
>
> i tried but i am not able to configure my etherent card. NetBSD
> configures it only using "utilities" when installation CD is in the
> drive & it even shows the correct name of the ethernet card & i can
> ping it.

That's good, you should have no problem.

> BUT as soon as i take out the CD & give my system a boot then
> ethernet card stops working & ping gives "no route to host".

The NetBSD installation procedure is quite basic, as you might have
noticed already.  You should be able to do it manually. Login after
the installation as root and run 'ifconfig -a'. On one of mine I am
getting:
root@loan8> ifconfig -a
fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        address: 08:00:09:dc:f8:9c
        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
        status: active
        inet 10.1.32.165 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 10.255.255.255
        inet6 fe80::a00:9ff:fedc:f89c%fxp0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
fwip0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        address: 00:00:4c:01:07:00:0e:bf
lo0: flags=8009<UP,LOOPBACK,MULTICAST> mtu 33192
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3

You are interested in the first group here - i.e. fxp0 (obviously it
is configured on mine). Let's assume your interface is fxp0 as well.
Create the file /etc/ifconfig.fxp0
with the contents:

inet xx.yy.zz.tt netmask 255.255.255.0

(the mask is up to your network setup etc.).

(to see if it is indeed running OK without a reboot, you can run

ifconfig fxp0 xx.yy.zz.tt up

and then try to ping some other host on your network).

If this is OK, then you should:

A. Enter your host address and name in /etc/hosts
B. Put your default gateway address in /etc/mygate
C. Create /etc/resolv.conf to contain your DNS settings (you already
have this in your Linux installation, it should do).

The reboot and try

dig www.asd.com or whatever.

Also have a good read through 'man afterboot'.

> > That is the more pressing problem, I guess; can't do much without a
> > network card. What is the hardware you are trying to put NetBSD-3.1
> > on? In this case the best would be to post /var/run/dmesg.boot file
> > (but then you will have to have a means to transfer it to a
> > net-connected box... maybe use floppy or USB stick.
>
> this is my home computer where i wanted to learn UNIX & C++
> programming with UNIX API

NetBSD is an excellent choice for this IMHO.

> so i can not use internet when i install
> NetBSD. right now i am using BLAG Linux to acsess the internet.
>
> > As far as pkgsrc.tar.gz is concerned, the fastest way to install
> > WindowMaker would be to expand the above file whilst in /usr ; then
> > just:
> >
> > # cd /usr/pkgsrc/x11/windowmaker
> > # make install package clean
>
> > (this will download, compile, install, package and clean all the
> > dependencies of WindowMaker - that would include Xft2, jpeg, libungif,
> > png and tiff, so get ready for a bit of compilation).
>
> that is fine. but no INTERNET as you know.
>
> i even downloaded the "pkgsrc-2006Q3.tar.gz" on my hard-disk to burn
> it on CD but Linux always says: "not an archive".

That's weird, did you specify 'binary' mode when doing the transfer
with ftp? It's just a standard compressed tar archive.