Subject: Re: "X windows" configuration
To: Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4@gmail.com>
From: arnuld <arnuld3@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/13/2006 19:30:06
> You mean xf86cfg or xf86config; xorgconfig is part of the Xorg
> package, which you normally would have from pkgsrc.

"xf86cfg". it gave me X-based screen where i selected my video card
etc using mouse.
it works without any problem.

> Get pkgsrc.tar.gz from /pub/NetBSD/packages directory from your
> closest NetBSD mirror, but then see below...

i tried but i am not able to configure my etherent card. NetBSD
configures it only using "utilities" when installation CD is in the
drive & it even shows the correct name of the ethernet card & i can
ping it. BUT as soon as i take out the CD & give my system a boot then
ethernet card stops working & ping gives "no route to host".

> That is the more pressing problem, I guess; can't do much without a
> network card. What is the hardware you are trying to put NetBSD-3.1
> on? In this case the best would be to post /var/run/dmesg.boot file
> (but then you will have to have a means to transfer it to a
> net-connected box... maybe use floppy or USB stick.

this is my home computer where i wanted to learn UNIX & C++
programming with UNIX API so i can not use internet when i install
NetBSD. right now i am using BLAG Linux to acsess the internet.

> As far as pkgsrc.tar.gz is concerned, the fastest way to install
> WindowMaker would be to expand the above file whilst in /usr ; then
> just:
>
> # cd /usr/pkgsrc/x11/windowmaker
> # make install package clean

> (this will download, compile, install, package and clean all the
> dependencies of WindowMaker - that would include Xft2, jpeg, libungif,
> png and tiff, so get ready for a bit of compilation).

that is fine. but no INTERNET as you know.

i even downloaded the "pkgsrc-2006Q3.tar.gz" on my hard-disk to burn
it on CD but Linux always says: "not an archive". i downloaded & tried
both "gz & bz2 files" 2 times from
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html. i dont
know what is the trouble. i have other archives & they are working
without any trouble.

-- arnuld
http://arnuld.blogspot.com/