Subject: Re: Hardware Console Redirection
To: Tom Judge <tom@tomjudge.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@planix.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/12/2006 19:55:18
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Sun_Nov_12_19:55:14_2006-1

At Fri, 03 Nov 2006 18:42:12 +0000,
Tom Judge wrote:
>=20
> Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> >
> > Right, and the Dell PE uses "com 2", or "com1" (when properly counting =

> > from 0), ah la 0x2F8 which is logically connected to a serial port on=20
> > the DRAC5 via the daughterboard connection.
> >
> The drac [345] Cards actually hook into or present a new vga adapter to
> the system (this can be seen as an ati chipset on the drac 4 pci addin
> cards) They also present a soft keyboard an mouse to the system via a
> set of usb devices.   If you also use the bios console redirection the
> bios is sent to the configured serial port.

Does this mean one can drive the BIOS setup screens, AS WELL AS all
add-on card BIOS setup screens, and then see the kernel printfs and talk
to a single user shell, all from a single serial port?

> Using the drac web interface you can send the system a scroll lock and
> scroll back the system console as if you where using the physical
> console. So there is no need to be conected all of the time.

That's just a feature of the FreeBSD console driver though, isn't it?

(That you can send a scroll-lock keypress event is cool and all, but
what about over a serial console?  That's all I care about.)

Anyway I don't think NetBSD's wscons(4) supports scroll-back of console
messages (yet?)....  at least not in the netbsd-3 branch, and if so then
it's not documented properly yet.

--=20
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>