Subject: Re: querying the console type?
To: NetBSD Users's Discussion List <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/12/2006 19:33:13

At Sat, 21 Oct 2006 10:31:48 -0400,
Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> Try this:
> console	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		vt100	off
> ttyE0	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		vt220	on	secure
> tty00	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	unknown	on	secure
> You will get a getty on both tty00 and ttyE0, so if the bootblock
> configuration gets screwed up you will still be able to log in on
> the serial port, but since /dev/console is not marked "secure", you
> will need to enter the root password to get a single-user shell.

Well since tty00 isn't necessarily the booted serial console either, I
thought that's what the more properly designed constty(4) was for:

constty "/usr/libexec/getty default"    unknown on secure local softcar

It even keeps the same port speed assigned from the boot blocks, though
if you're lucky enough to have a BIOS that does some semblance of serial
console support its speed settings are not always preserved.

Too bad there's no documentation for it yet (sorry, I haven't had time
to write any either, and besides I just started using it with netbsd-3).

Even worse is the fact the attempt to get this right with the default
settings in the standard ttys(5) files was reverted and then it's been
ignored ever since.

						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <>
Planix, Inc. <>       Secrets of the Weird <>

MessageID: Pd/O93/xG+iumupYrVctwOmrwsVuvtST