Subject: Re: NetBSD SMP support (quad vs dual CPU)
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Null Void <bsdjunkie@email.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/11/2006 14:44:05
OK then, if NetBSD SMP is stable enough for production use I have another q=
uestion. My company is thinking of buying a server for running NetBSD SMP i=
n production for a fairly high-load application server running Xen and 4 gu=
est operating systems (Windows, Linux, etc).
The choices are:

1. DELL POWEREDGE 6650 QUAD Xeon 2Ghz with 4GB RAM for about $800
2. SuperMicro X5DPL-iGM Dual Xeon 2.4GHz 4GB RAM for about $700

Considering NetBSD+Xen performance on dual vs quad CPU systems and factorin=
g in the price, which one would you pick? From purely theoretical point of =
view, the quad CPU should perform better, but I know the devil is in the de=
tails and I've seen many cases where quad CPU systems perform worse than a =
dual ones with configuration similar to the one I've given above. Any advic=
e/comments is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

--=20

Search for products and services at:=20