Subject: newfs problem on raid device
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christoph Kaegi <kgc@zhwin.ch>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/10/2006 17:00:53
I'm setting up a NetBSD 3.1 system with two identical disks that
should be mirrored.

I have labeled the raid0 device as usual, like this:

 a:   2098059         0     4.2BSD   1024  8192 45616  # (Cyl.      0 -   2048*)

Now, when I try to newfs this slice, it says:

 wtfs: write error for sector 16: Read-only filesystem

I tried to let the filesystem start at sector 63. That worked
for the newfs part, but then the computer didn't boot anymore,
saying:

  Boot failed (errno 2): Can't open /boot.

So i guess I have to solve the former problem first: why
can't I newfs the raid0a slice?

The disk is a Seagate ST336607LC. Someone on the mailing list
had a similar problem and had to add it to a quirk table. Does
that ring a bell for someone?

Thanks
Chris

Christoph Kaegi                                           kgc@zhwin.ch