Subject: Re: docbook editor?
To: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/09/2006 13:04:54
> > I am a long-time LyX user -- if you know how to get LyX to work with
> > DocBook please let me know.
>
> Googling for 'lyx docbook' immediately resulted in two links to
> step-by-step guides:
>
> 	http://www.teledyn.com/help/XML/lyx2db/t1.html

This is for very old LyX and is for "LinuxDoc" format. I don't see
anywhere in that on how to configure.

> 	http://bgu.chez-alice.fr/doc/db4lyx/

I also saw that before. It also appears to be for old LinuxDoc (what Lyx
used to call Docbook). New LyX also supports newer, but it is not
documented. And I asked about it on the lyx-users list a couple times
over past six months but no assistance.

Thanks again for pointing me to this at least I can find some ideas.

Part of my problem is the suggestions to use software that are considered
obsolete. And I am unclear on what to change for using real DocBook versus
LinuxDoc (since they use wrong terminology).

> > I had been doing a lot of work with book in LyX but also simultaneously
> > doing same work on same book in DocBook in vi -- doing the work twice is a
> > waste of my time. I might just use DocBook in vi and forget about LyX for
> > this project, but I like using LyX as it is usually a great time saver.
>
> Let me ask, why you have choosed DocBook over LyX/TeX? Is this an
> external requirement or was this your choose?

The original document is in DocBook. I provided numerous fixes for it. I
manually edited in vi. (I also simultaneously did same work in LyX after I
spent many days converting to LyX manually. The work is
redundant and I should have done in DocBook all along.)

> > What do you all use for docbook editing?
>
> I've also heard good opinions on emacs sgml mode.
>
> My own choice is vi (with local maps) and XXE (which is Java and
> thus heavyweight). Vex can compete to XXE as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. I saw Vex is for Eclipse. I may just use old
conglomerate or vi for now.