Subject: Re: "Root on... dumps on..."
To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
From: Kevin Brunelle <kruptos@mlinux.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/04/2006 22:28:57
On Saturday 04 November 2006 21:43, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:
> The generic kernel reports when booting the system:
>
> "root on wd0h dumps on wd0b"
>
> Yes, I'm aware "root" means "root filesystem" - but I'm not sure, what kind
> of dumps is mentioned there? "Core dumps"?
>
> Couldn't find the config file, which has the place for that "dumps" pointed
> - is it fixed directly in the kernel config file, without the possibility
> to change the "dumps partition" to different place (in the other way, than
> kernel recompilation)?

Note:  I checked: swapctl would be used to change the dumpdev.  So for
example, you would use

swapctl -D /dev/wd1b

swapctl -z  will show you what the current setting is.

To make this change permanent, change the partition type from sw to dp
in /etc/fstab

/dev/wd1b       none            swap    dp      0       0

And the startup scripts will make sure that it is changed at boot.

-Kevin