Subject: Re: Hardware Console Redirection
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/31/2006 23:14:29
On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 09:59:58PM -0500, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:

> The serial redirection feature on the PowerEdge has a "Redirect after
> Boot" option, which presumably the OS could account for and work with.

No.  "Redirect after Boot" just means that the BIOS calls don't stop
redirecting the first time something loads some data from a boot device.

That's why with that setting on, you can see the NetBSD boot block output
even if you don't have the boot block configured for serial console, but
with it off, you can't.

Listen, I'm sorry to tell you it doesn't work how you thought it did,
but, really, it doesn't.  BIOS serial console redirection redirects
_only_ I/O done by BIOS calls, and even hardware that redirects VGA
character output can't help you if something puts the console in
graphics mode.  It's unfortunate, but that's how it is.  Honest.

Thor