Subject: Re: Hardware Console Redirection
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/31/2006 21:59:58
> > The only limitation being interpretation of certain escape characters.
>
> and the lack of a supervisory CPU capable of asserting the cpu reset
> line when you need it.

IPMI/BMC/DRAC can handle that mostly.

I'm restarting this conversation (and plan to follow up with our vendor
-- Dell) because the new DRAC5 card requires ActiveX to get remote
console access, thus making it useless for anything other that
power-cycling the machine.

And ipmitool doesn't work with Serial-Over-Ethernet (SOL).

The serial redirection feature on the PowerEdge has a "Redirect after
Boot" option, which presumably the OS could account for and work with.

With the PC Weasel, the device wasn't a kernel-detected port, so
attachment with weasel(4) was for mgmnt only.

~BAS