Subject: Re: unison/ulimit - out of memory
To: Cliff Wright <cliff@snipe444.org>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/24/2006 22:05:24
--------------enig0380B9FE5FAC750A7B98F1D6

Cliff Wright wrote:
>> How can I increase the amount of memory an application can allocate?
>=20
> The default memory limits set by the shells are conservative.
> I found for instance that often firefox needs more.
> I bump this up with:
> ulimit -s 32768
> ulimit -d 1048576
> (for the bourne shell, limit for the csh) in the firefox startup script=
=2E
> This can also be set in the shell startup files (see shell man pages
> for file names, and other limits).

   This looks exactly like what I'm looking for. Just one problem
though.. When I run unison, it starts unison via ssh on the remote
system. So even if I add the "ulimit" statements to my .profile, they
aren't processed when unison is launched.

   I tried running:

c:\> ssh -l jan foo.bar ulimit -a

   And it doesn't display my new ulimit values.

   Do I need to set the limits in login.conf?

--=20
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson