Subject: Re: Hardware checksums
To: Michael D. Spence <spence@panix.com>
From: Cliff Wright <cliff@snipe444.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/24/2006 10:38:49
With all this talk of hardware checksum lately, I thought I would
mention their was a recent discusion (which I could not find) of
the results of a University study into packet errors and why they
occur. One conclusion of this study was that hardware checksum
was not that useful as it just backed up the CRC, however that
software checksuming was very useful and would many times catch
the somewhat rare error that is becoming more common as very large
file transfers become common. They also concluded that not all errors
can be found, and that for critical data the app will have to do a check.
I leave the software check on so that I don't have to always think
about what kind of network activity I am doing.