Subject: Re: Awful hard drive performance, fine in install
To: Simon Burge <simonb@NetBSD.org>
From: Thrashbarg <thrashbarg@kaput.homeunix.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/24/2006 12:41:59
On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 13:00 +1000, Simon Burge wrote:
> Thrashbarg wrote:
>
> > I've installed NetBSD 3.0.1 on my main machine from my server via NFS, which
> > worked well at about 10-12MB/s. Once installed I got pkgsrc and tried
> > extracting it with progress and got 15-80 BYTES per second. I get about the
> > same speed with everything on the local hard drive.
> >
> > The first thing that springs to mind is a problem with my kernel configuration,
> > as the Install kernel worked fine, though the installed Generic kernel works
> > fine on my servers. I'm using a self compiled Generic kernel with the debugger
> > disabled.
> >
> > As can be seen by the dmesg this is a SIS board...
> >
> > If someone can give me any idea to the solution?
>
> Pkgsrc consists of lots of small files and many directories, but you'd
> still expect it to be much faster than the speed you're seeing.  I'm not
> sure from what you say if it was just the pkgsrc extraction that was
> slow, or it was slow after that too.
>
> My first thought is to see what dd(1) says you can get for reading from
> the raw disk.  Use something like:
>
> 	dd if=/dev/rwd0d of=/dev/null bs=32k count=1k
>
> and that'll tell you how many bytes/sec it can get from a read.
>
> If that looks OK, then maybe try bonnie from pkgsrc and see what that
> says for reads and writes.
>
> Cheers,
> Simon.

Forgot to mention I also extracted the X11 sets, which I didn't compile
myself, but downloaded after I installed 3.0.1 on this machine. With and
without progress I also got about 15 B/s.

I'll give dd a go though and post if there's a difference (I'm running
in Linux at the moment, which runs fine).

Alexis.