Subject: Re: Awful hard drive performance, fine in install
To: Thrashbarg <thrashbarg@kaput.homeunix.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/24/2006 13:00:50
Thrashbarg wrote:

> I've installed NetBSD 3.0.1 on my main machine from my server via NFS, which
> worked well at about 10-12MB/s. Once installed I got pkgsrc and tried
> extracting it with progress and got 15-80 BYTES per second. I get about the
> same speed with everything on the local hard drive.
>
> The first thing that springs to mind is a problem with my kernel configuration,
> as the Install kernel worked fine, though the installed Generic kernel works
> fine on my servers. I'm using a self compiled Generic kernel with the debugger
> disabled.
>
> As can be seen by the dmesg this is a SIS board...
>
> If someone can give me any idea to the solution?

Pkgsrc consists of lots of small files and many directories, but you'd
still expect it to be much faster than the speed you're seeing.  I'm not
sure from what you say if it was just the pkgsrc extraction that was
slow, or it was slow after that too.

My first thought is to see what dd(1) says you can get for reading from
the raw disk.  Use something like:

	dd if=/dev/rwd0d of=/dev/null bs=32k count=1k

and that'll tell you how many bytes/sec it can get from a read.

If that looks OK, then maybe try bonnie from pkgsrc and see what that
says for reads and writes.

Cheers,
Simon.