Subject: Re: hosed partition table
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/23/2006 16:15:29
On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 06:11:06PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>In article <20061023143323.GA19828@run.galis.org>,
>George Georgalis <george@galis.org> wrote:
>>On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 08:57:18PM -0400, George Georgalis wrote:
>>>While I was unloading a disk with errors, I noticed the partition
>>>table was odd, I tried to fix it and now, basically the situation
>>>can be reduced to the c and d partitions have been deleted.
>>
>>BTW - I DID get all the needed data off the drive before I started
>>mucking with the partition table and this is the output of fdisk
>>and disklabel
>>
>> $ fdisk wd1
>>fdisk: DIOCGDEFLABEL: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>>fdisk: DIOCGDINFO: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>> $ disklabel wd1
>>
>>disklabel: Invalid signature in mbr record 0
>>disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>>
>>I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the disk errors that
>>started this journey.  The system happens to be 3.1_RC2, but
>>if needed, I could change this box easily enough.  What other
>>commands are available to doctor the disk?
>
>what does ls -l /dev/rwd1* say?

 $ ls -l /dev/rwd1*
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel        267324504 Oct 21 18:31 /dev/rwd1
crw-r-----  1 root  operator     3,      8 Oct 20 16:50 /dev/rwd1a
crw-r-----  1 root  operator     3,      9 Sep 17 12:51 /dev/rwd1b
crw-r-----  1 root  operator     3,     10 Sep 17 12:51 /dev/rwd1c
crw-r-----  1 root  operator     3,     11 Sep 17 12:51 /dev/rwd1d
crw-r-----  1 root  operator     3,     12 Sep 17 12:51 /dev/rwd1e
crw-r-----  1 root  operator     3,     13 Sep 17 12:51 /dev/rwd1f
crw-r-----  1 root  operator     3,     14 Sep 17 12:51 /dev/rwd1g
crw-r-----  1 root  operator     3,     15 Sep 17 12:51 /dev/rwd1h
crw-r-----  1 root  operator     3, 524296 Sep 17 12:51 /dev/rwd1i
crw-r-----  1 root  operator     3, 524297 Sep 17 12:51 /dev/rwd1j
crw-r-----  1 root  operator     3, 524298 Sep 17 12:51 /dev/rwd1k
crw-r-----  1 root  operator     3, 524299 Sep 17 12:51 /dev/rwd1l
crw-r-----  1 root  operator     3, 524300 Sep 17 12:51 /dev/rwd1m
crw-r-----  1 root  operator     3, 524301 Sep 17 12:51 /dev/rwd1n
crw-r-----  1 root  operator     3, 524302 Sep 17 12:51 /dev/rwd1o
crw-r-----  1 root  operator     3, 524303 Sep 17 12:51 /dev/rwd1p

>Also does disklabel -I -i /dev/rwd1d work?

$ disklabel -I -i /dev/rwd1d
disklabel: Invalid signature in mbr record 0

Guess maybe I can delete /dev/rwd1 ....but that doesn't hekp the
problem any.

// George