Subject: Re: querying the console type?
To: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.ne.jp>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/23/2006 12:02:05
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 12:22:06 +0900, Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.ne.jp> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 10:34:15PM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> > > Why are you getting this?  In a previous message you said "(Hmm -- I also
> > > see that I have wscons on in rc.conf."  Do you not have a kernel that
> > > initiates a wscons screen, or is there some other problem?
> > >
> > I have no idea, though I assume it has something to do with using a serial
> > console.  Dmesg, at the end of the boot process, says
> >
> > 	wsdisplay0: screen 1 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
>
> Is the device there?  (`ls -l /dev/ttyE0`, _I guess_, to find out.)

Yes, of course; that was the first thing I checked.  (Aside: the text in
intro(2) for ENXIO is "No such device or address", but the message printed
is "Device not configured".  I feel that that's a bug, though I'm not
certain which is wrong, the document or the file.  I had to start
grepping everything in /usr/src/lib/* to track it down.)

> May I assume that with your original setting with console on and the
> tty's off you didn't get the message?  I've had the following for many
> years without trouble (similar to your previous, iirc):
> console "/usr/libexec/getty std.38400"  vt220   on secure
> ttyE0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   off secure
> tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
>
> So, I'm hesitant to change if I'm going to end up with a bunch of errors
> that I don't understand.

I know...