Subject: Re: Support for Broadcom BCM5721, Intel ICH6R SATA?
To: Jeff Rizzo <riz@NetBSD.org>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/23/2006 13:58:18
--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 11:07:02AM -0700, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
> Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > I'm contemplating putting together a system based on
> > http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/P4/E7221/P8SCi.cfm .  I'm
> > wondering about support for the BCM5721 GigE and Intel ICH6R SATA
> > controllers.
> >
> > I see that if_bge nominally supports the Ethernet card, but there are
> > warnings in the driver that seem to imply that it might not really work
> > well.
> >
> > I don't know about the SATA controller; I do know that it works on
> > FreeBSD.  I don't need the hardware RAID support.
> >
> > Ideally, this machine would run 3.1; more likely, it would run some
> > snapshot of -current for the better Xen support.
> >
> > 		--Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb
> >  =20
>=20
> I have a system that's based on a very similar SuperMicro board - it has
> Intel GigE instead of Broadcom, but the SATA controller is the same.  It
> works out of the box with 3.1, but there is a minor bug in -current
> (which is being worked on, should be fixed in 4.0) which requires the
> sata controller to be set in "Enhanced" mode in the BIOS for it to
> work.  Thus far (~4 days), I'm happy with it.

I've looked at the ICH>5 case, too.  It suffers the same potential
issue.

I'm thinking of either simply removing the code that tries to switch to
enhanced mode (but keeping the code that switches to IDE mode for
ICH>=3D7), or testing whether the relevant BARs are mappable.  The latter
feels a bit hackish, but should work.

--=20
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o--