Subject: Re: querying the console type?
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/21/2006 10:39:03
On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 10:31:48 -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 10:16:02AM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> >
> > You're saying that E0 and 00 should both be on?  That won't cause dueling
> > gettys?
>
> No, because they are different ttys.  What would cause dueling gettys
> would be if you had both 00 and "console" turned on (or E0 and "console"
> in the wscons case).
>
> > The relevant entries now are
> >
> > 	console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure
> > 	ttyE0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   off secure
> > 	tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
>
> Try this:
>
> console	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		vt100	off
> ttyE0	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		vt220	on	secure
> tty00	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	unknown	on	secure
>
> You will get a getty on both tty00 and ttyE0, so if the bootblock
> configuration gets screwed up you will still be able to log in on
> the serial port, but since /dev/console is not marked "secure", you
> will need to enter the root password to get a single-user shell.

Thanks.  (Further poking makes it seem very likely that there's a
hardware problem -- I can log in blind and see 'root' logged in, but I
never see any output.  That makes it sound like a cable or connector
issue.)

One last question -- should wscons be on or off?

Also -- where, if anyplace, is this documented?  I see nothing in the
How-Tos or the NetBSD Guide on setting up serial consoles.