Subject: querying the console type?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/20/2006 23:06:03
Is there any easy way to find out what the boot system thinks is the
console device?

I have a machine in a remote rack that isn't speaking on its console
port.  There have been changes in the wiring and console servers, so it's
far from clear what the problem really is, but enough testing has been
done to make it worthwhile poking at the NetBSD side of things.

I *think* things are set up correctly, since 'ps' shows

	  848 tty00  IWs+   0:00.03 /usr/libexec/getty Pc console

which suggests that it really is a serial console in use, which is what I
want.