Subject: Re: pkg_select defective?
To: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
From: Thomas Dickey <dickey@his.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/03/2006 18:18:06
On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> On Oct 3, 2006, at 2:49 PM, Thomas Dickey wrote:
>> Since wsvt25 is defined in ncurses, and ncurses is more likely than not
>> available on the remote site(*), that's not necessarily a good enough
>> reason to use an incorrect terminal type (assuming that the user can set
>> the remote .cshrc/whatever file to do the right thing).
>>
>> (*) not everyone's running FreeBSD for their remote site...
>
> Well, no...but wsvt25 isn't in /etc/termcap on Solaris either.

I had that (and AIX, HPUX, SGI) in mind, since there are ncurses packages
available from their respective vendors, and since a number of packages
have (not always necessary) dependencies on ncurses.

On Solaris it's unlikely that you'd be using /etc/termcap anyway - the
only terminal added in the past 10 years was dtterm (and it's not even
the correct format ;-)

> But MacOS X has /usr/share/terminfo/77/wsvt25, so perhaps that's all right.

yes - that's ncurses, too.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net