Subject: Re: pkg_select defective?
To: Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de>
From: Thomas Dickey <dickey@his.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/03/2006 17:49:32
On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Christian Biere wrote:

> Pavel Cahyna wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 09:35:14PM +0200, Jan Danielsson wrote:
>> Change "vt220" to "wsvt25" in /etc/ttys and mc will work better.
>>
>> (it is not done by default because, I believe, when you log to some other
>> system from NetBSD via telnet or ssh, the remote system won't usually know
>> anything about wsvt25 but probably will know vt220.)
>
> No, that's not the reason but that's why those entries are set to "network".
> ssh will just pass your local TERM setting to the remote shell. That's why
> using wsvt25 is not a good idea if you ssh into non-NetBSD systems from
> the console because they usually can't handle it and in the worst case
> give you a dumb terminal.

Since wsvt25 is defined in ncurses, and ncurses is more likely than not
available on the remote site(*), that's not necessarily a good enough
reason to use an incorrect terminal type (assuming that the user can set
the remote .cshrc/whatever file to do the right thing).

(*) not everyone's running FreeBSD for their remote site...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net