Subject: Re: pkg_select defective?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/03/2006 23:06:21
Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 09:35:14PM +0200, Jan Danielsson wrote:
> Change "vt220" to "wsvt25" in /etc/ttys and mc will work better.
>
> (it is not done by default because, I believe, when you log to some other
> system from NetBSD via telnet or ssh, the remote system won't usually know
> anything about wsvt25 but probably will know vt220.)

No, that's not the reason but that's why those entries are set to "network".
ssh will just pass your local TERM setting to the remote shell. That's why
using wsvt25 is not a good idea if you ssh into non-NetBSD systems from
the console because they usually can't handle it and in the worst case
give you a dumb terminal.

For local console use wsvt25 or wsvt25m are of course better because
you get no color with vt220 except with some programs which ignore
that vt220 doesn't support color and use the relevant escape sequences
anyway.

--
Christian