Subject: Re: pkg_select defective?
To: Thomas Dickey <dickey@his.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/03/2006 22:22:58
Thomas Dickey skrev:

>>> That usually indicates a problem where the program tries to send some
>>> terminal command string with the curses library but the string is not
>>> known. Maybe you can try another terminal type setting. (vt100 instead
>>> of xterm, etc).
>>
>>   Ok, here's a dumb question: What does vt100, xterm, etc mean?
>
> It should mean that the terminal responds to the escape sequences listed
> in the termcap/terminfo for the given name vt100, etc., as the terminal
> type is documented (for vt100 that's a hardware specification, for xterm,
> that's the program I maintain).

And it don't even need to be escape sequences. It all depends on the
terminal...

> screen reads the termcap/terminfo, has additional config to add or
> override termcap/terminfo features.  It's possible to define an entry in
> the terminal database (such as screen.vt100) to modify its behavior,
> though most people don't use that (I do, finding that its assumptions
> don't work well ;-)

Screen is actually emulating a terminal itself, and uses termcap in
turn, to display whatever effects it got requested by the system on to
the terminal you use to connect to screen. So it's doing translations
for you from one terminal type (screen's own) to your (whatever you have).

	Johnny