Subject: Re: pkg_select defective?
To: Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/03/2006 22:19:42
If you understand swedish, Jan, let me know and we could go through all
this in private.

But to give a brief answer. Way back when this all came about, you had
lots of different terminal manufacturers, and no standard way on how to
make a terminal do tricky things. Simple stuff like showing characters,
and getting a new line were standardized. But then people started to
want terminals to have more capabilities, like moving the cursor to a
random place on the screen, show different attributes, and have more
special keys, and so on.
Every manufacturer devised their own way of doing these things, and thus
you have different terminal types in Unix, so that programs in Unix can
know exactly how to do these things on *your* terminal.

And that obviously also means that it is important that you set the
correct terminal type, or no advanced screen handling will work as you
might expect.

	Johnny