Subject: Re: pkg_select defective?
To: Rhialto <rhialto@falu.nl>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/03/2006 21:35:14
--------------enigFE7B7852C712224E263B146D

Rhialto wrote:
>> seems to be printing OOPSx and PSx all over the left part of the scree=
n.
>=20
> That usually indicates a problem where the program tries to send some
> terminal command string with the curses library but the string is not
> known. Maybe you can try another terminal type setting. (vt100 instead
> of xterm, etc).

   Ok, here's a dumb question: What does vt100, xterm, etc mean?

   All I know is that in the old BBS days, I set "Terminal Emulation" to
ANSI most of the time, and that meant colors and sometimes annoying menus=
=2E

   In Unix, it seems that terminal types are important for some reason.
No matter what system, it seems to output terminal type when you log in.

   When I run midnight commander in a full screen session on NetBSD, I
get no blue colors, and all the function keys are shifted -1 (F10
becomes F9, etc). When I run midnight commander from screen through an
ssh login, I get a blue colored background, and the function keys work
as expected. Same thing when I run midnight commander from a
wterm-window i X.

   I have tried to understand what all this means, but to no avail. I
read that vt100 is some old standard from DEC serial terminals, blah,
blah, blah.. vt220 is the same thing, but it supports more keys, blah,
blah, blah..

   But I haven't figured out what a terminal type *is*, and how they can
explain the midnight commander behavior. (But I believe it could).

   Could someone point me to a good resource that explains terminal
types? What they are, what types there are, how they differ, and why
there isn't a Universial Solution Which Everyone Uses.

   This is one of those things that is about go give me a serious
bleeding in my brain:

   From /etc/wscons.conf:
------------------------------
# screens to create
#       idx     screen  emul
# Screen 0 is already configured as console in most cases.
#  Uncomment if a serial console is used.
#screen 0       -       vt100
screen  1       80x50   vt100
screen  2       80x50   vt100
screen  3       80x50   vt100
screen  4       -       -
#screen 4       80x25bf vt100
------------------------------

   From /etc/ttys:
------------------------------
#console        "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure
console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure
ttyE0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   off secure
ttyE1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure
ttyE2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure
ttyE3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure

   One file says vt100, and another vt220. Is this a problem? What do
they mean?

--=20
Kind Regards,
Jan Danielsson
Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.