Subject: firmware source Re: "BLOB"s
To: None <>
From: Dieter <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/13/2006 23:11:49
>   Taken to its logical conclusion, you should also avoid any
>   piece of hardware with onboard firmware which is not open
>   sourced... so, thats most SCSI cards, video cards, wireless
>   cards... don't forget the PC BIOS...

Work is underway to design an open video card.

A couple of my biggest headaches in the last year are from
buggy firmware.  One of these is a very high quality non-BIOS
firmware.  But all it takes is one nasty bug to ruin your

Word is that Tyan may switch to LinuxBIOS.  But IIUC, NetBSD
can't run on LinuxBIOS?  Does NetBSD make BIOS calls?  If so,
what would it take to remove them?