Subject: Re: The future of NetBSD
To: <>
From: Thorsten Glaser <tg@mirbsd.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/10/2006 00:06:35
Marc G. Fournier dixit:

> And what I'm learning with bsdstats.org is that there are more then just those
> four ... GNU/kFreeBSD is reporting

Now _that_'s funny ;)

> are there any others?

DragonFly
DesktopBSD
PC-BSD
4.3BSD-Quasijarus
ekkoBSD (dead)
MidnightBSD (nascent)
MicroBSD (once dead, but apparently undead...)
emBSD
picoBSD
nanoBSD

The latter three are probably just stripped-down versions of
the bigger ones. I think there are even more than these I
listed above. The five big ones are DF/Free/Mir/Net/Open though.

Daniel Seuffert (from AllBSD.de) today said he intends that
your script to be installed AND ENABLED BY DEFAULT in every
BSD release/snapshot, and he will definitively enable it in
DesktopBSD 2.0. I will probably do the same for MirOS, as I
currently don't have a way to even estimate the user base,
other than bittorrent downloads, and it does not transmit
any data qualifying as 'sensitive', uses almost no resources
and is low-bandwidth. (We'll have to add some "jitter" to
the execution time, though.)

bye,
//mirabile
--
  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."