Subject: Quota, Softdeps, and Raid - and the Quality of NetBSD Releases
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Lasse Kliemann <lasse-list-netbsd-users-2006@plastictree.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/09/2006 13:29:03
Well,

as some of you might have noticed already, I ran into serious
trouble using all these three together on one of my machines.
The issue is known as kern/33642. So far, this problem seems
to have received little attention. As I already lined out in
an additional post to netbsd-bugs last week, this problem has
not gone away since RC1 for 3.1. It is still there, and it can
lead to serious damage of the system (loss of /etc/passwd). I
write to this high-traffic list now in the hope to receive
answers to the following questions:

- Is anyone using quotas, softdeps, and raid at the same time
  on some machine, and what are the experiences?

- What can I do to help to resolve this issue?

- What do you think: would it be appropriate to release 3.1
  (or 4.0) even though this issue has not been resolved? Are
there other bugs of this kind that will not be resolved either
before the release? Shouldn't this be noted in the release
notes then ("the following (serious) bugs still remain in this
release: ..."), so that users are warned?

Regards, L. Kl.