Subject: Re: Repairing the damage (was Re: History of the NetBSD Foundation)
To: Brian McEwen <bmcewen@comcast.net>
From: S.P.Zeidler <spz@serpens.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/05/2006 23:45:29
Thus wrote Brian McEwen (bmcewen@comcast.net):

> -So, there are developers all over the world (I reasonably suspect,
> but haven't checked) signing some contract with an .org (.com?
> perhaps) based on laws of... Delaware, USA?  Why do they feel held to
> terms of a "secret" and perhaps dubious contract with some foundation
> in the USA?

Because it's a contract? I believe you are mistaking US law (that does not
bind me because I'm not in the US) with 'private' contracts. An example:
If I buy stuff in an US webshop and get sent the ware and don't pay, I'm
in breach of contract (to pay what I get), and while trying to sue me in
the US is futile, suing me in my hometown about breach of this private
contract would be not.

Also, people aren't getting forced at gunpoint to sign the NetBSD
developers agreement (correct me if I'm wrong :); I would hope that
the people who chose to sign it also choose to keep it.

regards,
	spz
--
spz@serpens.de (S.P.Zeidler)