Subject: Re: Getting the good bits into NetBSD
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/04/2006 22:02:14
On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 07:33:36PM +0100, Dieter wrote:
> For NetBSD's morale and reputation, there needs to be not only a
> lack of actual corruption, but even the lack of the appearance of
> corruption.  To avoid the appearance of corruption, Wasabi and
> other corporate sponsors need to support NetBSD going GPL.
> The only reason to not support going GPL is if they are, in
> fact, taking and not giving back.

I think you're missing the whole point of the BSD license. There is
nothing at all "corrupt" about taking BSD-licensed code and not giving
back changes that are made to it. Developers who release their code
under the BSD license know what they're getting into; if they wanted to
license their code under the GPL, they would have done that. Instead
they chose to BSD license it.

How do you propose NetBSD "go GPL" in any case? They don't have the
copyright to all of the code in the tree, and they have no way of
changing the license of that code--only the copyright holder can do
that. Personally, I have no interest in relicensing my code under the GPL.
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 30 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++