Subject: Re: The NetBSD developers agreement
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/04/2006 22:16:20
thus Stefan Bozhilov spake:
> --- Lasse Hillerĝe Petersen <lhp@toft-hp.dk> wrote:

(...)

>> Stefan, you are saying that the "NetBSD Project" is
>> controlled by a possibly commercial entity (the
>> "Foundation"?)
>
> I'm *guessing* that's the case. It looks like that.
> There are rumors about it. That is all I can say.
>
>> and that we need a new "project" to supersede the
>> old  one because of this?
>
> Yes, I think we need a project that includes the
> current one as a contributing branch. That branch can
> operate under whatever rules they please.
>
> Best Regards,
> Stefan

okay, so let's go on and have a further look:

as stated, 'There are rumors about it [the "NetBSD Project" is
controlled by a possibly commercial entity]'.

let's start here. as all of you might know, Wasabi Systems [0] is for
whatever reason (former) employer of a number of NetBSD developers or
core members (!). a quick investigation built the following list:

Luke Mewburn
Allen Briggs
Nathan Williams
Bill Studenmund
Perry Metzger
Frank van der Linden
Jason Thorpe
Alistair Crooks
Simon Burge
Todd Vierling

this list can be verified by having a look at [1] and [2] as well as
searching for posts of the mentioned people on the mailing list archives.

if in doubt (and at the moment the whole NetBSD community should be, a
part of it already is), those people are the ones that can prove that
every single person involved in both NetBSD and Wasabi Systems was *not*
influenced by their employment at Wasabi Systems.

this would mean to fully disclose any communication within TNF/TNP and
to external entities, especially communications to Wasabi Systems or its
employees.

NB: it is highly suspicious why the reproaches Charles M.
Hannum listed were *not* invalidated yet.

if everything 'is okay', why are there hidden contracts and why is there
stealthy communication?

furthermore, the question arises whether or not these same Wasabi
employees and NetBSD developers have a source code tree that is
available to Wasabi and not NetBSD.

due to the influence of these Wasabi employees within the NetBSD
community (as stated above), the avoidance of a conflict of interest is
impossible (NetBSD developers not committing code to fix bugs in
NetBSD's tree but fixing them in Wasabi's).

if there is an individual or a group that can prove, without any doubt
remaining, that NetBSD is not 'rotten' in the way Charles M. Hannum
said, you can be sure of everybody's attention.

[0] -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/

[1] -- http://netbsd.org/People/core.html

[2] -- http://netbsd.org/People/developers.html

--
Timo Schoeler | http://riscworks.net/~tis | timo.schoeler@riscworks.net
RISCworks -- Perfection is a powerful message

Frankie says: Relax