Subject: Re: History of the NetBSD Foundation
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@MIT.EDU>
From: Marc Tooley <netbsdMLpostNO@spam.quake.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/02/2006 18:10:27
On Sat, 2 Sep 2006, Charles M. Hannum wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 05:34:22PM -0700, Marc Tooley wrote:
>> Questions that my more gossip-y self is now very curious about, and
>> which I present only in utmost respect:
>
> Most of your questions are utterly bizarre, and imply things that are
> ridiculous.  I'm not going to bother replying to them.  However, I will
> share something about the relationship with Wasabi that I remembered,
> because it's particularly noteworthy.

Yes, I suppose you could say my questions seem bizarre. But consider
this: I have been using NetBSD since.. well almost since it was ported
to the Amiga. I have been avidly reading the mailing lists since that
time. Even from my perspective, I had little to no information upon
which to base any conclusions. And I've been here for a decade!

From my perspective, this whole kafuffle makes absolutely no sense,
and it boggles me why you and now TNF are making such a big deal out
of it. The only possible reasons I can think of are:

A. Human nature.
B. Money.

What, precisely, is the genesis of your complaint? You're saying a lot
suddenly, it seems coincident with the revocation of your commit bits,
and you're levelling fraud accusations in a public forum against TNF.

You and the rest have been going back and forth now intimating and
accusing, but until recent posts from Thor (thanks Thor,) have
basically been having a private conversation publically, with volumes
of unspoken material that even people like myself (a decade!) can only
guess at.

People like me are donating to a not-for-profit institution, and are
thus wrapped up in your accusations now because it directly affects
our taxes. I think you have a responsibility to us to speak the hell
up and better explain yourself now that you've decided to air your
dirty laundry in public.

> I'm not going to editorialize much on this.  I leave you to draw your
> own conclusions.

This is precisely why I posted to begin with. Comments like this that
make intimations and implications force people like me to fill in the
blanks with guesswork. I also find it ironic that you are telling me
that *I'm* being ridiculous while *you're* continuing to foster my
uninformed speculation by refusing to even entertain my questions.

I framed my questions as questions for a reason--I freely admit I was
uninformed: I now request that you answer those that you can, and if
my queries seem ridiculous, have a little empathy and consideration!

Not everyone knows what you do. A decade later, and even after the
thousands of messages I've absorbed, the best conclusion I can make is
that ego, or money, are driving you to do this. Since I've never seen
anyone pursue matters as far as this in public without a pseudonym
just for ego, and Wasabi was VC-funded to the tune of millions of
dollars, what do you expect me to think?

I posted my questions in a light-hearted fashion before and I got
spanked for it. Let me re-phrase for you, and summarise:

. People's taxes are involved here. Stop messing around with us and
explain things. Assume we don't know anything. If I don't, believe me,
the rest of the non-NetBSD world definitely doesn't.

. Do you think you stand to lose or gain money or stock? Do you want
to lose or gain money or stock?

. What do you hope to accomplish with your comments and accusations of
fraud?

. Do you think TNF stood to gain money by reforming your company
without you?

. What do you think they stood to gain by excluding you from your
own company?

. Are you stirring this up to try and protect us (the public,) or for
a bid to regain control over what was your corporation?

. Why don't you just fork? Matt Dillon did.. Lots of people would
follow you.

. What possible protection do you provide by holding on to those
documents? Why aren't the originals stored in the documented records
storage facility of the company, and why aren't either you or TNF
privvy to at least photocopies of them? One fire later, and they're
gone forever. It just doesn't make any sense.

From my perspective, the solutions seem so simple.. I'm left, in the
absence of clear and open discussion, to conclude that the solutions
aren't so simple after all, and that money and human nature are the
two most complicating and likely possibilities involved.

-Marc