Subject: Re: History of the NetBSD Foundation
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@MIT.EDU>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/01/2006 23:16:50
On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 10:48:09PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> You said something about like that to me at the time -- maybe in Las
> Vegas when a few of us were helping you run the NetBSD booth at, hm, was
> it LinuxWorld?  I didn't know Christos as well then as I do now, and I
> was irritated that something this important would be left to linger, so
> when I got home to New York, I asked him why he was letting the issue
> slide.  ...

All I can say is: I have thousands of records from that period, including
numerous invoices and checks for conference and merchandise expenses,
magazines with interviews I did, even my old DBA for The NetBSD Mission.
I have 0 letters from Christos.  0.  Not even one.  I know because I
sifted through it all a couple of months ago.

> As I recall, he was more than a little miffed by this (as you
> had been by what you, in turn, seemed to think was his inaction) and
> not much later he actually brought to the regular Thursday evening
> New York NetBSD gathering a paper-and-ink letter he was sending you to,
> he said, try to get you to add more Board members or otherwise help
> resuscitate the corporation.  Subsequently he let folks look over his
> shoulder from time to time as he wrote email about it and so forth
> but the letter really sticks in my mind.

Well, you know, if he didn't hear back, maybe he should have tried other
means.  Or had someone else contact me.  But to my knowledge, no such
communication was ever sent.  What I do know is that when *I* asked
Christos to add more board members, he refused.

> But while we are trying to clear up failures to communicate -- I and
> others have been trying to get in touch with you about the status of
> your NetBSD login account (not the developer agreement, this was a
> reaction, I think, by membership-exec to our reports that we couldn't
> get in touch with you) for about eighteen months.  Nobody AFAIK has
> received any response to any inquiry on this general subject.  If
> somehow we've been failing to get in touch with you through accident
> or our own fault, please, could you get back in touch offline (if
> you want to say that's the case here, great) and let us know?

I've made my position on this crystal clear to a couple of people who
contacted me.  Since I do not recognize legitimacy of the current board,
I am not going to communicate with it.