Subject: Re: The future of NetBSD
To: None <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, misc@openbsd.org,>
From: Whyzzi <whyzzi@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/01/2006 10:15:19
I was happy to continue lurking and not trolling, but it appears some
Open Source users still don't get it, and I figured perhaps by saying
it again might enlighten a few more.

On 31/08/06, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@freebsd.org> wrote:
>what my point is, though, is if we aren't willing to
> accept 'vendor written drivers', then it is *we* that are limiting our
> growth but limiting what hardware we can run stably on ...

Sadly, you've twisted the point in the wrong direction.

Since we aren't willing to accept 'vendor written drivers', those
vendors don't deserve our advocacy or our dollars. *We* did not limit
our growth, the vendors limit theirs: by not being able to sell to our
market.

Time and Again I've seen the OpenBSD team make a request documentation
in order to make drivers, time and again I've seen that request
denied. Simply put,  the vendor is closing their door on a chance to
make more revenue and thus increase profits for their company by not
providing the correct documentation to open source developers.

I'll go back to lurking now.
Peter Verhagen
PS: Vote with your $$$ people. It works!

/* status: just an OpenBSD [l]user */