Subject: Re: USB/umass issues with Creative Zen Nano Plus
To: Jesse Peterson <jpeterson275@comcast.net>
From: Steve Woodford <scw@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/01/2006 09:45:16
On Friday 01 September 2006 04:10, Jesse Peterson wrote:
> Aug 29 22:38:43 localhost /netbsd: sd0: fabricating a geometry
> Aug 29 22:38:43 localhost /netbsd: sd0: 245 MB, 245 cyl, 64 head, 32
sec, 512 bytes/sect x 502912 sectors
[snip]

> Which would appear somewhat normal, except that this device has 1 GB
> of flash so it should in theory have four times as many sectors,
> right?

I have a Samsung USB MP3 Player (YP-U2) which is similarly afflicted.

The problem is that it advertises 2048 byte sectors and our scsipi code
doesn't notice this fact. I locally patched up some bits of the code so
the physical sector size is determined correctly at attach time.
However, since the sectors really are 2048 bytes in length, this leads
to another problem...

http://www.sra.co.jp/people/soda/koji/sectorsize-en.txt has all the gory
details of why NetBSD cannot currently support this device and others
like it. Unfortunately, Koji Imada is no longer with us and nobody else
stepped up to takeover.

Cheers, Steve