Subject: Re: The future of NetBSD
To: davide zanon <d.zanon@infinito.it>
From: Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@freebsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/31/2006 22:24:07
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, davide zanon wrote:

> The reason why merging is impossible or stupid has been said some million
> times... Different goals.

I'm curious here, but why did the *kernel* diverge for each project?
Like, I understand (or think I do) the philosophy of the OpenBSD project,
and that is high security ... but, wouldn't the security improvements that
go into the OpenBSD kernel not be applicable to NetBSD / FreeBSD?  At this
point, I couldn't imagine merging, but when OpenBSD first branched off,
one would think it would have been fairly easy to keep the *kernel* itself
relatively in sync, no?  Especially the code audit that I imagine went
into securing the OpenBSD kernel itself ...