Subject: Re: New set?
To: Eric Radman <theman@eradman.com>
From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/31/2006 11:29:42
Eric Radman wrote:
> Is there any chance of a consensus on this idea: adding another set to
> NetBSD's base distribution called plus.tgz or util.tgz.

Perfect consensus is rarely obtained, but I'd be happy to give feedback.  :-)

> There are a number of packages that are already part of the other *BSD
> base distributions that I install from pkgsrc on every NetBSD box I set
> up or upgrade, including:
>
> package ~size  already in              reason
> ------- -----  ----------------------  ---------------------------------
> sudo    113K   OpenBSD                 Better than everyone using su(1)

This is probably the most useful tool, and having it integrated with the
system means that startup scripts and the like can use it more selectively
than su is used.

> userppp 248K   OpenBSD & FreeBSD       Awesome ppp/pppoe

The userland version of PPP is easier to work with and debug than the
kernel-based PPP, at least from what I've used it for under FreeBSD.

> tcsh    331K   FreeBSD & DragonflyBSD  Useful alternative to csh(1)

On MacOS X and FreeBSD, csh is tcsh.

> lynx    1.8M   OpenBSD                 Useful for finding more info
> perl    11M    OpenBSD                 Used for everything

I would dislike having perl integrated into the base; it's huge, it's
comparitively fragile, and chasing after Perl modules tends to require you to
update the installed perl fairly often.  Too much churn.

There's nothing wrong with lynx, but curl, wget, fetch, are all alternatives
which (some of them) are lighter in weight.

--
-Chuck