Subject: Re: New set?
To: Eric Radman <theman@eradman.com>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/31/2006 08:09:41
On 8/31/06, Eric Radman <theman@eradman.com> wrote:

> Is there any chance of a consensus on this idea: adding another set to
> NetBSD's base distribution called plus.tgz or util.tgz.
>
> There are a number of packages that are already part of the other *BSD
> base distributions that I install from pkgsrc on every NetBSD box I set
> up or upgrade, including:

My take on that would be that it's a mistake to do that.

The reason why those things don't exist is because they are not really
core apps (that's inviting flames probably).

I agree that things like bash and perl are something lots of people
are going to use, but it's still correct to have someone from pkgsrc
maintain that, in my opinion. It gets too messy for the distribution
people to deal with that.

I just do pkg_add or make install where needed. On some of today's
faster boxes, this is a very minor inconvenience, with the convenience
of being able to uninstall and upgrade easier later on.

Andy