Subject: Re: The future of NetBSD
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jorgen Lundman <lundman@lundman.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/31/2006 14:50:48
Charles M. Hannum wrote:
> The NetBSD Project has stagnated to the point of irrelevance.  It has
> gotten to the point that being associated with the project is often
> more of a liability than an asset.  I will attempt to explain how this
> happened, what the current state of affairs is, and what needs to be
> done to attempt to fix the situation.

I'm am but a user of NetBSD and I can not say I disagree with anything you have
said. I started using 386BSD back in the day, and moved to NetBSD when it came
out. I have written code for the kernel, drivers and userland. I used to attempt
to send in patches for the benefit of NetBSD, but sometime around 2001 or so it
became clear that they were just not wanted. That patches are rejected does not
phase me, it was more the manner and attitude received when trying to do so. But
NetBSD had better coders than me back then so it did not matter.

I do feel NetBSD lost its direction, but it is still my preferred OS for
development. I had no idea about the internal politics, or the Foundation
itself. These things always seem like a waste of time, and often a hinderance.

I would like to go back to giving something back to NetBSD though. Maybe one day.

Lund

--
Jorgen Lundman       | <lundman@lundman.net>
Unix Administrator   | +81 (0)3 -5456-2687 ext 1017 (work)